Internship: Rapid Control Prototyping Development
Set-up a framework where RCP engineers can focus on implementing their concepts
We develop software in a model based development environment for embedded controllers based on Simulink. The software for the embedded controllers in the domain of Engine and Vehicle Electronics control are developed in-house by DAF in Eindhoven.
Currently new concepts are created and evaluated by a different department in which the software architecture is not taken into account. They just focus on the functionality in order to proof that the concept is working on a vehicle. This approach limits the reusability of proof of concept models by the embedded software department.
Ideally, this proof of concept software is developed, maximally re-using existing software modules as basis for the new concept and is prepared to fit in the software architecture framework.
RCP decreases development time by allowing corrections to be made early in the product process. By giving engineering a look at the product early in the design process, mistakes can be corrected and changes can be made while they are still inexpensive. Furthermore these RCP models can be reused as a basis for the final software creation.
Your job would be to set-up a framework where RCP engineers can focus on implementing their concepts, while a tool guides them in creating software which is maximal re-useable by the software engineers.
This task includes:
- Study and analysis of the RCP development process and Software development processes for similarities and differences, identifying solutions to bridge the gap
- Study of the model based software development environment (Simulink)
- Study of software architecture design environment (Rhapsody)
- Creation of a tool to guide the RCP engineer through the software creation process
- Documentation of the new development workflow
- Do a RCP software project of your own choosing (including a test on a vehicle)
For this assignment we are looking for a Bachelor student ICT, Computer Science or Software Engineering. You possess the following competences: cooperation, creativity, planning and organizing, problem analysis. Available for at least 6 month period from januari 2020.
You will be part of the Platform Development team of Embedded Engineering of DAF that is located in Eindhoven (the Netherlands). Embedded Engineering has over 120 highly skilled people today. It delivers world class engineering in the domains of engine controllers and vehicle controllers. Our full model based software development process is unique in the industry.
Embedded Engineering has 2 locations in Eindhoven, the Netherlands and Pune, India. Next to that, Embedded Engineering works closely together with her counterpart of PACCAR, called PACCAR Embedded Engineering which is located in Renton (near Seattle), the USA.
The products developed within Embedded Engineering end-up in DAF trucks but also in our sister brands Kenworth and Peterbilt. Through component sales even our products are used by leading bus and coach manufacturers.
- A view behind the scenes at a large international corporation;
- You will get a lot of freedom and responsibility. We are open to your initiatives and depending on the assignment you see your results back in the workplace;
- An experienced coach and supervisor who can teach you a lot and is willing to help you with your assignment;
- After your graduation, you will have the opportunity to start your career at DAF;
- An internship wage of € 375,- (HBO) based on 36 hours;
- A travel allowance, if you don’t have a student travel product (provided by the Dutch government);
- A housing allowance, if you temporarily rent a room near DAF.
Would you like to know more about the experiences of other students? Here you can read stories of our former interns.