We are a software company! But when are you a software company? According to our DAF software engineers only when you as a company organizes hackathons and own at least one ping pong table. We never had a hackathon before, so that’s what we did on Friday, November 16.
A hackathon is a 24 hour event where engineers work together in teams on certain topics or problems related to the company. For our first hackathon, 25 software engineers from Embedded Engineering and some ex-interns formed 7 teams. At twelve o’clock in the afternoon we kicked-off with a short introduction. An hour later the teams presented their goals.
In every corner of the DAF Experience Center you could find groups working on their assignment, in proximity and getting inspired by our great products, especially the big shining blue XF. Colleagues who passed by to encourage the teams noticed how silent it was as everyone was working hard on their assignment. The PlayStation and the table football game were barely used until late in the evening.
Software engineers and pizzas go together so pizzas were delivered for dinner. In the evening the different teams gave their intermediate status updates. It was already amazing to see how much progress was made in this short period of time.
On Saturday morning most participants still looked (relatively) fresh. Some of them had taken a quick nap in one of the displayed DAF trucks for the first time in their life. And the most common feedback was that our trucks are a nice and more quiet than expected environment to sleep.
Around 11:00 o’clock the big moment: the teams present their results and gave demonstrations to each other and the management of Embedded Engineering:
- New concept for software unit testing using the Gherkin descriptive language
- A real traffic light indicating the status of our continuous integration status instead of virtual traffic light on a web page
- A concept for a cabin door controller using a single LIN bus
- Controlling the PC game ‘Truck simulator’ with actual DAF hardware
- A personalized dashboard for software engineer retrieving information from different sources
- Integration of our digital scrum boards with the standard business intelligence environment used within the organization
The teams and management picked a winning team. The winning team will be announced during the next quarterly meeting of Embedded Engineering. We will keep you updated!