HBO stage: Embedded Software Engineer
Do you want your code to change the future of mobility?
We are looking for enthusiastic students to help us to achieve this change through challenging internship assignments. Software is driving the change – therefore we need you, and your vision, ideas, and technical solutions.
We expect from you that you are eager to learn. You will be working with our best engineers and they will guide you through your internship – and challenge you directly to outdo yourself. Don’t hesitate to speak up and ask for help. Everyone in the organization is willing to help you.
From our experience, we know that the best internship assignments are defined when having a cup of coffee and brainstorm together.
Examples of past internship topics:
- Creating a test framework. A framework, based on the robot framework, to translate the same test cases towards hardware-in-the-loop and model-in-the-loop tests.
- Creating an SDK kit, giving our internal customers with a web application the possibility to tweak our software to fulfill special customer wishes.
- Tool for viewing software models in bitbucket. Simulink models are stored as compressed XML files - so you need additional logic to visualize them directly in your browser.
- Representing the software development process as a production line. To bridge the gap between the engineers and the management a visualization with PowerBI is realized to show the progress of each task on your Kanban/Scrum board and give a clear overview of the team's status.
- Software Design Methodology for Digital Display. To set a methodology for a C++ codebase relying on static code validation and dynamic memory analysis.
To flourish as an intern we hope you fulfill the following profile:
def daf_internship_application(self, you: Student): while you.reading_internship_application: if ( ("Bachelor" in you.education or "Master" in you.education) and ("Software Engineering" in you.eduction or "Informatics" in you.education or "Computer Science" in you.education) and you.languages == Languages.ENGLISH and (you.languages == Languages.DUTCH) and Skill.OBJECT_ORIENTED_PROGRAMMING in you.skills and Skill.DESIGN_PATTERNS in you.skills and Skill.AGILE in you.skills and Skill.TEAMPLAYER in you.skills and Skill.SELF_ORGANISING in you.skills and Skill.PROBLEM_SOLVER in you.skills ):
Apply for this awesome internship
return "I am ready to change the future of mobility"
Are you wondering in which languages we code? That’s mainly Simulink and Python. We are proud of our full Model-Driven Development strategy. Don’t be afraid if you haven’t mastered these languages yet. If you’ve mastered the concept of Object-Oriented Programming, you will be up and running in no time – just like all the engineers and internship students before you.
During the interview, we usually get enthusiastic if you can show us or talk about personal projects you have been working on. For example the app you created or your code on GitHub. We cannot wait to see what interests you most! We will show you how our unique Model-Driven Development strategy looks like, so you can get an impression of your future job.
You will be part of an experienced and dedicated international team in the Platform Development group of DAF Embedded Engineering, that is located in our awesome new office in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
You can read testimonies of our software engineers at https://www.daf.com/en/working-at-daf/meet-your-colleagues/embedded-engineers-hubert-erik-en-luuk and https://www.daf.com/en/working-at-daf/meet-your-colleagues/ruud-van-den-boomen
Embedded Engineering is primarily located in Eindhoven and has an office in Pune, India. Together we have over 140 highly skilled people today. We deliver world-class engineering in the domains of engine controllers and vehicle controllers. Embedded Engineering also works closely together with PACCAR Embedded Engineering located in Renton, near Seattle.
The products developed within Embedded Engineering are applied not only on DAF trucks but also in the famous PACCAR brands Kenworth and Peterbilt. Through component sales, our products are used by leading bus and coach manufacturers.
- A view behind the scenes at a large international corporation;
- You will get a lot of freedom and responsibility. We are open to your initiatives and depending on the assignment you see your results back in the workplace;
- An experienced coach and supervisor who can teach you a lot and is willing to help you with your assignment;
- After your graduation, you will have the opportunity to start your career at DAF;
- An internship wage of € 375,- (HBO), € 450,- (WO) per month on full-time base
- A travel allowance, if you don’t have a student travel product (provided by the Dutch government);
- A housing allowance, if you temporarily rent a room near DAF.
Would you like to know more about the experiences of other students? Here you can read stories of our former interns.