Internship: Common framework black-box and software testing
Assignment for creative Bachelor student ICT, Computer Science or Software Engineering
In order to make our software easier to re-use, to test and to maintain, we introduced a new software architecture. This architecture is inspired by the mobile world and introduces the concept of an “app” running on top of a platform abstraction layer.
With our software tests, we validate our “apps” as model in the loop, at the level of the platform abstraction layer.
Our colleagues at the Test Department validate the functionality on the hardware, executing so-called black box tests.
In principle, hardware inputs and outputs (in our case these are often CAN signals) can be easily mapped to inputs and outputs at the software abstraction layer. Therefore test vectors between “app” software testing and black box testing look very similar. We see opportunities to create a common framework, facilitating the re-use of test vectors between black-box testing and software testing.
This task includes:
- Study and analysis of the software architecture as defined by DAF
- Study and analysis of the current way of “app” software testing
- Study and analysis of the current way of black box testing
- Provide a framework to develop and run test cases with chosen solution, re-using test vectors (either re-using the black box test vectors on software level or re-using software test vectors on black box level)
- Document the solution and include how-to documentation for our engineers
- Hook-up the framework to our automated Jenkins environment, both for software testing and black box validation
For this assignment we are looking for a Bachelor student ICT, Computer Science or Software Engineering. You possess the following competences: cooperation, creativity, planning and organizing, problem analysis. available from januari 2020.
You will be part of the Platform Development team of Embedded Engineering of DAF that is located in Eindhoven (the Netherlands). Embedded Engineering has over 120 highly skilled people today. It delivers world class engineering in the domains of engine controllers and vehicle controllers. Our full model based software development process is unique in the industry.
Embedded Engineering has 2 locations in Eindhoven, the Netherlands and Pune, India. Next to that, Embedded Engineering works closely together with her counterpart of PACCAR, called PACCAR Embedded Engineering which is located in Renton (near Seattle), the USA.
The products developed within Embedded Engineering end-up in DAF trucks but also in our sister brands Kenworth and Peterbilt. Through component sales even our products are used by leading bus and coach manufacturers
- A view behind the scenes at a large international corporation;
- You will get a lot of freedom and responsibility. We are open to your initiatives and depending on the assignment you see your results back in the workplace;
- An experienced coach and supervisor who can teach you a lot and is willing to help you with your assignment;
- After your graduation, you will have the opportunity to start your career at DAF;
- An internship wage of € 375,- (HBO) based on 36 hours;
- A travel allowance, if you don’t have a student travel product (provided by the Dutch government);
- A housing allowance, if you temporarily rent a room near DAF.
Would you like to know more about the experiences of other students? Here you can read stories of our former interns.