Internship assignment: Tool for viewing software models within Bitbucket
Create a plugin for BitBucket that enables us to view the differences and solve merge conflicts in a web-based application
Within DAF, engine software is created using Model Driven Development. While these models are easy to understand, our current version management system (Bitbucket) only supports for easy viewing and merging for text-based files in a browser. It is not possible to view these files within this tool and they need to be viewed locally on a pc in Simulink. Ideally it would be possible to only view the changes in a certain software version. Furthermore, it would be useful if it is possible for us to review/comment and merge all models within Bitbucket.
The purpose of this assignment would be to create a plugin for BitBucket that enables us to view the differences and solve merge conflicts in a web-based application.
This task includes:
- Study and analysis of the Model Driven Development process at DAF
- Study of the file format of Simulink models and diff and merge tools for Simulink models offered by Mathworks and/or other vendors
- Study and analysis of the version management system
- Provide an implementation to view a single model within the version management system
- Document the solution and include how-to documentation for our engineers
- Provide an implementation to view differences between models within the version management system
- Provide an implementation to merge differences between models within the version management system
- Functionality to comment-on these software models within Bitbucket
For this assignment we are looking for a Bachelor student ICT, Computer Science or (Embedded) Software Engineering. You possess the following competences: cooperation, creativity, planning and organizing, problem analysis.
You will be part of an experienced international team of the Platform Development group of DAF Embedded Engineering that is located in our awesome new office in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. Our full model driven software development process is unique in the industry.
You can read testimonies of our software engineers at https://www.daf.com/en/working-at-daf/meet-your-colleagues/embedded-engineers-hubert-erik-en-luuk and at https://www.daf.com/en/working-at-daf/meet-your-colleagues/ruud-van-den-boomen
Embedded Engineering is primarily located in Eindhoven and has an office in Pune, India and has over 120 highly skilled people today. Together we deliver world class engineering in the domains of engine controllers and vehicle controllers. Next to that, focusing on common software development, Embedded Engineering works closely together with PACCAR Embedded Engineering located in Renton (near Seattle), the USA.
The products developed within Embedded Engineering are applied on DAF trucks but also in the famous PACCAR brands Kenworth and Peterbilt. Through component sales our products are used by leading bus and coach manufacturers.
- A view behind the scenes at a large international corporation;
- You will get a lot of freedom and responsibility. We are open to your initiatives and depending on the assignment you see your results back in the workplace;
- An experienced coach and supervisor who can teach you a lot and is willing to help you with your assignment;
- An internship wage of €250,- (MBO) , € 375,- (HBO) or € 450,- (WO) per month on Full-time base;
- A travel allowance, if you don’t have a student travel product (provided by the Dutch government);
- A housing allowance, if you temporarily rent a room near DAF.
- Each intern will have the opportunity to participate at the Student Event. During this event you will meet other interns and find out more about DAF/PACCAR!