Internship: Improve Parts Process
Optimalize the end-of-life process within our parts purchasing department
With the introduction of new Truck models, service parts of the old models still need to be available for 10 – 15 years. Suppliers not selected to supply new Truck models are a risk to after sales due to potential cost increases and lack of availability. Goal of the assignment is (1) to set up a risk profile to be used to select and investigate risk suppliers and come with concrete actions plans to mitigate the risk (2) data analysis on current aftermarket assortments incl. management advice on potential re-routing of parts.
- Business Engineering (Bachelor)
- Good communication skills
- Good command of English written and spoken
DAF Trucks is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PACCAR Inc. The DAF Trucks N.V. purchasing organization is part of PACCAR Corporate Purchasing and goes under the name of PACCAR Purchasing Europe. It is responsible for the delivery of goods and services to production units in Eindhoven and Westerlo (DAF Purchasing) and to Leyland (Leyland Purchasing). The PACCAR Purchasing Europe organization is subdivided into Product Projects, Production Purchasing, Non-Production Purchasing, Parts Purchasing and Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA).
DAF wants to give substance to "Strategic Supply Management" in an effective, proactive and interdisciplinary manner, in the following five areas: Quality, Logistics, Know-how, Competitive position and Competitive position Price. The supplier must have a favourable market position and financial position & the total costs within the value chain must be competitive.
The work at the Department of Purchasing takes place in an inspiring and challenging environment. Correctly managing relationships with our suppliers is essential for our continuing success as a truck manufacturer. The strategic necessity for cost reduction must in part be achieved via the purchasing process. The Commodity Managers have a central role in this process. They are responsible for the overall procurement of an assigned product group. They act as the ‘spider in the web’ between external suppliers and the internal customers. They are responsible for a sound supplier selection and perform the contract negotiations. Their responsibility is to buy the necessary products subject to the most favourable conditions in terms of quality, price and delivery reliability. In addition, they constantly engage in conducting market research and benchmarking in order to respond quickly to new market trends.
- A view behind the scenes at a large international corporation;
- You will get a lot of freedom and responsibility. We are open to your initiatives and depending on the assignment you see your results back in the workplace;
- An experienced coach and supervisor who can teach you a lot and is willing to help you with your assignment;
- After your graduation, you will have the opportunity to start your career at DAF;
- An internship wage of € 375,- (HBO) based on 36 hours;
- A travel allowance, if you don’t have a student travel product (provided by the Dutch government);
- A housing allowance, if you temporarily rent a room near DAF.
Would you like to know more about the experiences of other students? Here you can read stories of our former interns.